Author Topic: Closed In the Pipe, 5 by 5  (Read 890 times)

Description: Game Thread Jean Marceau Octavia Yeats (TW Violence, Drug Abuse)

Offline Winford Mao

  • Black Echo
  • Stickin' 'round
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Winford Mao
  • Panda Mao
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Chief Engineer
In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »
The early warning system blares as the long range scanners of the Echo flare to life. It's barely past 0300 hours but it's been nearly a month since the last target, so if anything the rude awakening is a welcome one. Mao's punishingly loud automated alarm system could jolt the dead into wakefulness, and more than one conversation has been had about that very fact.

"More efficient this way," is the constant refrain.

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »
With a face akin to death, Tavi threw something suitable on and sprinted up to the pilot's chair.  She hadn't slept yet, but that didn't matter.  There was something out there, something she could deal with directly.  At least up on the top deck, the alarm wasn't as loud.  She would've 'more efficiently' aerated Mao's brain with his wok if he'd made it as loud up top.  It was bad enough she couldn't shut the damn thing down without deactivating other systems--Mao was as crafty as he was pudgy--but for it to be so gorram loud...

"Activating sensors..." she mumbled to herself, turning things on and starting to absorb the information.  What was going on?  What had been detected?  Was it easy pickings, or something that'd require the lasers?  Hopefully just the lasers.  Tavi hated having to spend money on the magnetic guns, but at least she had 'em to fire in the event of someone getting smart with her over the comms.

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »

Jean was the only one that hadn’t said a word about the alarm system. It wasn’t as though getting blasted awake by sirens at zero dark thirty was a particularly pleasant experience, but he’d had more than enough of it in the military to be as used to it as could be considered reasonable. Besides, at least this one didn’t go off multiple times a week, and it had yet to signify incoming artillery fire.

That made it damn cozy in comparison.

Jean wasn’t far behind Tavi, stepping into the bridge in time to see the monitors and displays for the sensors start to come to life. While not fully kitted out, he’d at least put on his armoured jacket, and his pistol made a familiar sight in its drop-leg holster. No sense doing much more until they knew what they were dealing with.

Tavi was already there, squinting at the displays, and Jean stepped in nearby to get some idea of what she was looking at. She was generally better at reading the minutiae of the sensor results than he was, but he could derive the major information.

With any luck, it'd be some good news for once.

Offline Winford Mao

  • Black Echo
  • Stickin' 'round
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Winford Mao
  • Panda Mao
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Chief Engineer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
As soon as Tavi dropped into the chair, the alarms ceased their constant wailing, the sudden silence allowing you to hear the briefing ringing in your ears. It's a single ship far from any sort of trade route, or even colony. They may even be as you are; criminals trying to lay low.

The sensor suite pings it as the Deuteronomy. A standard light transport though there appears to be some form engine trouble or damage slowing it down, as well as giving it a stranger angle of axial rotation. The lasers would almost certainly be sufficient to bring the vessel to halt, permanent or otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:29:28 PM by Winford Mao »

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
"Looks like a trap, Jean," Tavi reported, noting the information.  "Bait, presumably.  Let's do a full on sweep of the surrounding area before we approach?  We can get within a few miles before we'll be in range for the EMP, anyways.  Might as well spend some time getting to know who our new friends might end up being, ya know?"  Tavi flicked on the sensory array and did a general sweep of the surrounding area.  Best to know if there was anyone around who might be taking advantage of the Deuteronomy's crippled status presently.

Spoiler: show
Rolled 1d10 : 3, total 3
+
Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3
1d10 Perception + 1d12 Alertness.  I don't believe the pilot's skill is involved in this?  Short post, but I don't know what, if anything, the search is going to reveal.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:29:50 PM by Octavia Yeats »

Offline Winford Mao

  • Black Echo
  • Stickin' 'round
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Winford Mao
  • Panda Mao
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Chief Engineer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
A quick but thorough sweep of the surrounding space revealed nothing but the ship's swirling vapor trail. At the moment it appears that you're alone in the black.

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:42:39 PM »

“Bring us in slow,” Jean said cautiously. He was inclined to agree. While the sensors weren’t reading anything obvious, a legitimate transport vessel was an unusual sight this far in empty space. The Echo had yet to resort to baiting tactics, but it was popular enough among pirates that the possibility couldn’t be ruled out.
 
Jean took his seat, keying in the shipboard radio. Mao’s siren had undoubtedly blasted everyone awake by now, and they had better things to do than sit on their thumbs. “Echo, Echo, this is Actual. Unknown contact, bearing six zero mark four zero. Sensors reveal blank. All hands general quarters, prep boarding team. Out.”
 
Given the way the ship was behaving, if this was indeed a legitimate vessel, there was a chance someone might have beaten them to the punch. Jean leaned back a little, frowning at the overhead display that showed the current readings. “Engage scanners when in range.” It would help to have a clue whether the ship had only suffered an untimely malfunction — and if so, what systems they had left — been attacked, or something more sinister.
 
Jean could only hope this was going to be as straightforward as it looked, but he wasn't optimistic. The "simple" ones had a nasty habit of springing the most surprises, and something about this looked a little too easy.


Spoiler: Note • show
Serenity RPG (page 101) seems to distinguish “sensors”/radar from “scanners” as separate. In Ep 8. when Serenity gets hit by pirates Mal indicates they’ve already “scanned” the ship and know that Serenity has no life support. I also don’t know when a roll is appropriate, so tell me if I messed up.

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
As she maneuvered the ship towards the downed vessel, Yeats attempted--and utterly fucking failed to--scan the downed ship.  The garble of information that exploded onto the screen told Octavia very little, other than that she hit the wrong button by the looks of things.  The useless data was impressive in its complete inability to provide meaningful anything.  So overwhelmingly useless, in fact, that Tavi spent too much time attempting to decipher meaning from the information.  As a result, she failed to move them closer at a particularly swift pace.

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:08:21 AM »

Sometimes Jean really hated being right.
 
His customary scowl was back in place as he looked up at the jumble of data displaying on the readout. None of it was giving them any clear information, suggesting either interference or a malfunction. It wasn’t like Mao to let an error of this magnitude go undiagnosed, so what was—?
 
Debis over the sensor array? Possibly. That, or the Deuteronomy was equipped with jamming equipment heavy enough to block even their scanners. That sort of tech was hard to find, but not impossible.
 
This was looking less and less like civilians by the minute. The risk was just enough to give Jean pause. The word ‘Trap’ was still on his mind, and if they were being jammed, Jean wasn’t in the mood to be surprised by a series of railguns or risk a hull breach just because the scanner hadn’t gotten a reading.
 
“Another cross angle, s'il te plaît,” Jean requested, reaching for the sensor control panel to log a copy of the data for Mao to check at a later date. In an ideal world it might be just as simple as scattered debris between themselves and the target. A simple alteration in their angle of approach might make the difference.
 
While Tavi made the adjustments, Jean took a moment to modify a few of the scan parameters to correct the beam width to cut radiation loss, and attempted to reduce some of the noise and anomalies on the feed by modifying the frequency and SSL. Jean glanced back up at the sensor screen, updating the coordinates, and attempting to run the LIDAR a second time.
 
“Allons, chérie,” he muttered under his breath. “Parle-moi.”
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:26:50 AM by Jean Marceau »

Offline Winford Mao

  • Black Echo
  • Stickin' 'round
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Winford Mao
  • Panda Mao
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Chief Engineer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »
Your second sweep is at a much better resolution and you feel confident that your ship and the Deuteronomy are alone here in the black. However, the new angle and subsequent scan reveal a troubling amount of debris in the wake of the ship, which your equipment tracks in a long arc behind the ship where it mixes with radiation and exhaust trails. There's no way to tell at this distance as to the exact cause of the debris, but two possibilities enter the forefront of your minds; asteroid or meteoric impact to the vessel like a space aged ice-berg moving at thousands of meters a second or the more troubling possibility of an explosive decompression.

The heavily filtered voice of Mao barks out of the intercom.

"Actual, this is boarding crew. Reporting ready. What have we got?"

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 09:19:52 PM »
Tavi interpreted the news and smoothed out her hair, running her fingers along her scalp.  "See, that's interesting.  This is all very interesting, Cap.  We should approach in as stealthily as we can, keep our emissions and profile low.  If they jump to life, we can open fire.  If an enemy jumps to life, we can open fire.  So long as we've got our eyes open--" notwithstanding her accidental command to debug the sensor system, "--I think we've got a good chance.  I'll let you answer Mao, though."

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
Spoiler: Abbreviations • show

Five - Mao's Designation
L.T.V. - Light Transport Vessel
Holed - Hull Breach
D.A - Damage Assessment

Gee, thanks. Very gracious.
 
Jean didn’t answer either of them immediately. His free hand lingered on the radio, one roughened thumb ghosting over the switch. There was something in the lighting from the displays on the bridge that always made him look a little older; a little more haggard. This morning was no exception.
 
One transport ship, assuming another wasn't hiding in her wake. Debris. Trailing a radiation signature. Atypical axial rotation.
 
Jean’s eyes narrowed, the light of the monitor deepening the wrinkles developing at the corners of his eyes.
 
Typical pattern for Reavers.
 
Okay, yes, it was unlikely, but Jean felt justified in being paranoid.
 
“Cautious.”
 
Cautious was a better word.
 
The Black Echo was currently far enough from their territory that Reavers shouldn't be a concern, but the Deuteronomy was doing a damn good impression of one. If they'd penetrated this far, then...
 
Well, Captain Lynn had made that mistake once too.
 
Jean finished mulling over his options, flexing the fingers of his free hand into a fist and painfully stretching them back out before giving Tavi a short nod.
 
“Offset two zero mark three zero; avoid debris,” he instructed, hoping to curl the Black Echo around to the other side of the vessel as they closed in to get a better view of the damage. “Be looking for a hull breach.” If they were going to be met by a vacuum as soon as they opened a pressure door, he’d rather know sooner rather than later.
 
Jean started to lift the intercom, pausing for a second to add, “If anyone hails, give to them the usual fey wu.” In a pinch, Tavi looked the right amount of pretty and innocent to pull off a lie about being a concerned trading ship, assuming the other crew wasn't looking too closely.
 
That said, the fact they hadn’t been hailed by any survivors at all was telling.
 
“Five," Jean replied over the comm, humoring Mao's impatience. "Distance to contact one zero three zero klicks. L.T.V, possibly holed. Commencing D.A. Standby for readings. Out.”
 
On the face of it, and ignoring the What Ifs and the Maybes, Occam's razor implied the Deuteronomy had been hit. Asteroids weren't unheard of in the area, but even if she was flying blind, every instrument dead, the chances of hitting one by chance was infinitesimally low. An attempted breach or a malfunction seemed more likely, and if they could get a good scan of the damage, Mao might be able to shed some light on whether it was caused by an impact, a defect causing decompression, or a breaching charge.
 
Jean leaned forward, accessing their current database to check for relevant deck-plans. The scanners weren’t identifying the exact model of the Deuteronomy yet, but the mystery should clear up on approach. With luck, they might be able to cross-reference the damage against the plan to see which internal structures may have been compromised, as well as work out the best breaching strategy.
 
‘Deuteronomy.’ A book of three sermons delivered by Moses before entering the Promised Land.
 
Well. Time was about to tell on that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:07:14 AM by Jean Marceau »

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »
Tavi looked at the LIDAR outline and ran it against the Echo's onboard computer system, checking it against the variety of blueprints on file.  While that hummed, she continued to move forward until they were about eight miles from the ship.  She applied the breaks and entered stable orbit with the wreck.  At this distance, the sensors were able to provide more intricate information about the ship's damage.  Massive internal explosion.  "Could've been a fuel breach," Tavi mused as she observed the damage.  "Intentional sabotage, maybe.  Cargo may've been volatile."  All things Jean knew about, but she was listing things out externally so she wouldn't forget.  It was unnecessary to posit that a micro-body could've hit the hull, breached it, and introduced sufficient kinetic energy to turn something into boom.

That micro-body could've been a well aimed kinetic round, too.

Space sniping wasn't easy, and given the way the ship wasn't propelling itself through space merrily, it either had been stopped when the damage occurred, or it had been acted on by an external force once the intertial dampeners were off-line.  So... what was it?  What had caused it?

"Shall we say hello, Cap?"

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »

“It is looking like someone has beaten us to it,” Jean said with a scowl, eyeing over the data that was feeding in from the scanners. Internal explosion. Interesting. Jean was no engineer, but he knew enough to know ships rarely decided to detonate on their own without a reason.
 
No. This smelt deliberate.
 
There were a lot of questions here, and not a huge amounts of answers. The sensors still weren’t showing any other ships in the vicinity, and if something was hiding in the heat trail, it was doing a damned good job of it. No distress signal. Still no hail. A quick glance at the log showed one of the escape pods had been jettisoned.
 
It looked easy on paper, but everything just felt…
 
Off.
 
Still. A hunch was all he had to go off, and that was hardly definitive.
 
Even if someone had taken the cargo, the visit could be worth it just for supplies and salvage. Food. Ammo. Parts. Mao would be able to strip any engine components of reasonable value. L.T.V. spare parts were always in high demand, which made the fact the engine was still running at all curious.

If it was sabotage, or a pirate raid, why leave the engines going? Why not strip her themselves? Siphon the fuel, at least? God knew fuel cells weren’t cheap. And if it really was an accident, why wasn't there a distress signal?
 
Unless… someone intended to be back. Or she’d been set to travel somewhere deliberate.
 
… A carrion house, for example.
 
Interesting.
 
If someone was inside after all, Jean didn’t exactly want them broadcasting what was coming next. “Kill her engine and any comms,” he said, glancing over at the long range sensors again. If his guess was right, then steering her far away from the current route felt like a start. “Grapple her; get her off the current flight path in case someone is looking to finish the job.”

At the very least, it might buy them a little more time. Or shake up some nests. A blueprint had successfully come up in their search of the database, so Jean gave it a quick glance over, then paired it with the scanner results and sent a copy down to the data terminal closest to where Mao was waiting.
 
“Five, this is Actual. Data transmitted to terminal three four. Tell us what it is we are looking at. Over.”
 
Which compartments were likely to be breached, or if any fuel or gas lines were likely to be compromised was worth noting. Or at least an indication. Walking into a makeshift gas chamber or straight into a vacuum wasn’t an appealing prospect.

Offline Winford Mao

  • Black Echo
  • Stickin' 'round
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Winford Mao
  • Panda Mao
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Chief Engineer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »
Mao's voice squawked over the intercom a few moments later.

"Looks like a shit-show to me, Da-ghuh. That hole's in life support, and whatever went up,
 it went up big time. Like it was carryin' munitions...I remember seeing a couple of reports and pictures about ammo magazines on ships being compromised. This looks like a scaled down version. This is an L-T-V?"

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:25:05 PM by Winford Mao »

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »
Well now.

That changed things a little.

Jean held out a hand signal to Tavi to belay the last order. At least, until he had more to go off.

"What are you thinking, false transponder?" he asked back over the radio, pulling up initial data which had been translated from the sensors. It was still showing the same. Deuteronomy. Standard Civilian-Class L.T.V. The floor-plan wasn't showing anything unusual, but then...

Mao was on the right track. Since when did L.T.V's — disguised or otherwise — move that sort of hardware?


« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:48:22 AM by Jean Marceau »

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
Tavi continued to keep the ship in synchronous orbit, making sure they didn't cross some invisible threshold that triggered the clusterfuck to begin in earnest.  If they'd been carrying some illegal cargo, it was probably all gone.  Glancing at the fuel reserve gauge, she ran the numbers on cost analysis.  "If that thing blew like that, I'm not thinking we'll have much luck salvaging it.  The hull's compromised pretty bad, right?  And anything in there's probably ash.  Freeze-dried ash."

Offline Winford Mao

  • Black Echo
  • Stickin' 'round
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Winford Mao
  • Panda Mao
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Chief Engineer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
"If they were smugglin' munitions...yeah. Yeah, false transponder makes the most sense to me. My bet is browncoats."

There's a long pause over the intercom.

"Bet we're stealing from the thieves. If there is something left, bet it'd be interesting at least. We can always cannibalize the parts."

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »

"Thank you mon frère. Standby for further."
 
Jean took his thumb off the radio switch, ending communications and going back to idly toying with it while staring at the data as though it might sing to him if he glared at it determinedly enough.
 
How much of it was falsified, exactly?
 
Tavi may have had a point about the cargo, but he couldn’t quite bring himself to agree with her assessment that the Deuteronomy was a lost cause. Mao, at least, seemed to think there might be something worth salvaging, and he was inclined to agree it was worth the attempt.
 
“She is still flying,” Jean pointed out, bringing the read-out of the Deuteronomy’s engine output back onto his screen. “Engineering is still in tact.” Mostly. “If they are running, she is not completely destroyed.” Even if the munitions were gone, she might at lest have some functional scrap. Hopefully the bridge as well. It wasn’t any use to them, but Jean was more than curious about what the logs had to say.
 
Then there was the escape shuttle. If someone had survived long enough to launch one, the entire interior couldn’t be completely reduced to dust. Perhaps the crew or the automated systems had shut the blast-doors if they had them installed. Although, the shuttle could have easily been launched before the explosion.
 
Hmm.
 
He brought up the LIDAR scan again and enlarged it, focusing on the hole that had blasted through one side. If she was carrying nothing but munitions and they’d all detonated at once, he’d have thought the damage would have been more widespread than that.
 
Sabotage. There was that word again.
 
It just felt a little too… deliberate. And if someone had rigged her to blow then taken an escape shuttle before she detonated, then it was starting to look like thieves stealing from thieves stealing from thieves at the moment.
 
“Here,” Jean said, sending a mirror of the escape shuttle records and the damage on the side of the hull to Tavi’s secondary screen. ”What does that tell you?” It wasn’t a test. He was just checking in case she caught another possibility he'd missed.

Jean couldn’t help it. This was starting to niggle at his curiosity. There was still an Alliance Officer in him somewhere that wanted to know quel en l’enfer a ship with a false transponder was doing with weapons-grade munitions, and, more importantly, where it was going. The newly formed Pirate Identity was busy wondering whether any of those munitions may have survived, and, if not, and the ship was empty, it was a chance for some low-risk salvage that might add a touch of cream to their bottom line.
 
In theory.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:51:42 AM by Jean Marceau »

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
Tavi took a few seconds before answering.  "I'll bring us in to grapple.  My only concern is potential traps on the hull--whatever blew might react to our sudden attachment, and if that happens, we might find ourselves with a bomb strapped to our hull.  The one survivor--is that was post-explosion--tells us that we're looking at an interior that hasn't been compromised completely, sure.  But if it was pre--it couldn't been the saboteur getting away, and that means they might be coming back, or they might've just been trying to..."

She sighed, shaking her head.  "Bringing us in to grapple, Cap.  Let's drag this hulk outta here and see if we can't find somewhere nice and secluded to explore it, eh?"  Unless there was an order to stay her hand, Tavi did just that.

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 02:50:46 AM »

"That is the idea," Jean agreed, reaching overhead to hit the switches to divert the necessary power. She'd raised a fair point that the external hull itself had possibly being rigged, but he was going to have to trust that the Echo's sensors would be able to pick up any anomalies before then. That, or the blast to finally kill her with the EMP would either disable or detonate them ahead of time.

Only one way to find out.

Getting her off her current path still seemed like the best first step. Perhaps an EVA run for a more thorough assessment once they had her. It all had to go according to plan first, and Jean knew damned well how that liked to work out.

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 06:25:27 PM »
Tavi literally smacked her head.  "Cap--you wanted the engines taken out.  Right."  The perils of having such an active imagination--and an active drug addiction--was that sometimes, things slipped through the cracks.  She moved into point blank range for the lasers--six miles away.  More than enough to protect from any potential explosions.  Carefully, Tavi started to line up the shot.  "One laser at a time, Cap?  We can hit 'em in rotation--" the right laser, then the left, then the right.  The result was harder to dodge, given it was effectively a laser with a rate of fire of two instead of one, "--until the engines give out or the ship melts.  Sound like a plan?"

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 03:53:25 AM »
Jean couldn't help but throw Tavi a sideways look when she smacked herself in the forehead. He'd assumed, clearly incorrectly, that she'd still remembered the last order. His mouth pulled into a hard line.

"Correct," came the terse response. "Tighten it up, X.O."

It was a far more gentle reprimand than anyone else would have gotten in her position, but there was a tone to his voice that made it plain he was nothing if not deadly serious. Slips like that got people killed, and while she'd always been a top-notch pilot, he didn't need any more reason to be doubting her ability of late.

A mirror of the measurements and readings from the shipboard weapons were now up on Jean's display. He forced the earlier thought aside and flicked through the targeting data. "Ripple both cannons," he ordered, repeating himself for good measure. "Grapple when secured. Then course correct to nine zero mark two nine zero," which should, in theory, take them further from any current shipping lanes.

And, for good measure...

"And try not to melt the ship."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:11:38 AM by Jean Marceau »

Offline Octavia Yeats

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 143
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Octavia Yeats
  • I ain't goin' back.
    • View Profile
  • Location: The Black Echo
  • Position: First Officer
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
Teeth clenched, Tavi nodded.  She pause for a solid nine seconds, waiting, working on the targeting computer.  She lined up the shot, activated the laser...

...and an instant later, the engine was gone.

Not disabled.  That wasn't the right word.  The engines were gone.  The laser scraped along the exterior, expertly slicing through the flimsy skin of the ship.  The engine was reduced to slag, parts of the metal boiled away into dangerous metallic gas that would form back up before too long into a different state, once the heat was radiated off as thermal energy through the void.  The moving components of the engine were fused together, the valves were crushed and welded shut.  That one laser blast was sufficient to obliterate any hope of the ship being a ship again.

It was now a battering ram in space.

"Aye, captain."

Offline Jean Marceau

  • Black Echo
  • Got Somethin' going' on There
  • *
  • Posts: 156
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Jean Marceau
  • God doesn't always have the best God-damned plans.
    • View Profile
  • Location: Black Echo
  • Position: Capitaine
Re: In the Pipe, 5 by 5
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
... Well... at least the whole ship hadn't melted.

"Close enough."

Somehow, Jean doubted Mao was going to be pleased. Despite Jean's own laundry list of potential complaints about the Alliance, it seemed the efficiency of their shipboard weaponry went without question.

There was no sense saying anything about it. It had happened, and that was the end of it. Instead Jean mentally shook his head, at least partially aware of the humor in the situation despite the fact maybe half of their potential profits out of this endeavor might have literally just turned to ash and melted alloy.

But, hey. At least the ship hadn't blown up.

Yet.

It did, however, leave him with a slight problem. The engine parts themselves had been a tempting sweetener on this, and without it, the risk-to-reward ratio was starting to look unfavorably skewed. The fact the ship hadn't blown up after that sort of hit also had some implications about the existence of Schrodinger's Munitions. Or, more specifically, the potential lack thereof.

Merde.

This was looking worse by the minute. Any cargo she had left had better be worth the trouble. Currently, the only bright side was that they hadn't had to fight for it. So far. There was something about this he still didn't quite trust, but he'd have to deal with those possibilities when or if it came to it.

"Bring her in carefully," Jean ordered, allowing Tavi to initiate the grapple procedures without further interference.

Watching the sensors and pulling up the blueprints once more, Jean muttered something sarcastically under his breath that might have been "Que Dieu me donne de la force," before switching on the intercom to Mao, briefly filling him in on what had happened together with a quick damage report.

They still had to get the Deuteronomy off her current path first. That, at least, would give him some time to work out the precise details of the next few steps.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:16:01 PM by Jean Marceau »

 

2517, The Unification War has been over for a decade and Miranda is still a secret. Into The Black is an Alternate Universe Firefly & Serenity fandom roleplaying game. It centers around independent crews of different ships which travel all over the 'verse created by Joss Whedon.

Welcome to Into The Black

Rules
Setting
Crew List
Face claim
English Slang
Chinese Slang

Mature board ~ LGBT+ Friendly ~ No Word count

Re: A Job Offer by Dalila Moreno
[October 20, 2017, 06:05:17 PM]


Re: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Skyplex by Jean Marceau
[October 20, 2017, 05:31:21 PM]


Re: Someone Has Got To Fly This Ship by Cain Dyer
[October 20, 2017, 12:23:39 PM]


Re: Moving Parts by Cain Dyer
[October 20, 2017, 11:31:07 AM]


Re: Unexpected Reunions by Xiu Mei Lau
[October 19, 2017, 06:45:33 PM]

Alternate modern day Earth, Dystopia & Arranged Marriage



Distant Fantasies RPG-D
delinquent-trophy