Author Topic: Stick them with the pointy end  (Read 321 times)

Description:

Offline Jada Depont

• Freyja
  • Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jada Depont
    • View Profile
Stick them with the pointy end
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
<The Freya with @Dominic Sinclair / @Siren >

It was a very rare occurrence for Jada Depont to be concerned about her safety, yet recent experiences had made her more wary. Now painfully aware about how poor her weapons skills were she had joined the Freyja. Yet, to all intents and purposes it seemed like she was there to work, but the day she boarded she set about the task of finding a teacher. Knowing she needed to go about it in a delicate manner she began by getting to know the ship. First she scouted out the usual places she'd need to know in order to help out any Clients, and then she coincidentally ended up near the rooms where various lessons were taught. There was no point offering herself up as a teacher, Jada was not a true master of anything by psychology and she did not want to teach people in that area, so she explained to others she came across that she was merely getting to know the ship.

On her third day of "getting to know the ship" she came across what she supposed must have been the weapons room. Well, it did have weapons in it, but since this was no military vessel or one that mercs would be on she was not sure the Freyja had an armoury to speak of, these weapons therefore were not meant for combat, just practising (though she assumed they could be used for combat if needed). Wondering into the room she picked up a gun and examined it carefully before frowning and putting it back where she'd found it.

What drew her eye next was a thin sword that seemed to have been designed for one of her stature. It's name, she noted, was "Needle" and when she picked it up she thought said name was appropriate. It felt good in her hand but Jada was too keenly aware of her drawbacks with fencing so replaced the sword promptly. Still, she could not help but look at it. It had felt right in her hands in a way the gun had not and that meant a lot to her. With everything she had become good at it had begun with feeling an affinity with it. Though stabbing people was not something that came naturally to her exactly the feel of the weapon had been enough to convince Jada this was her way of feeling more secure. So, she picked it up again and stood so that she was En Garde!.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:47:00 AM by Jada Depont »

Offline Dominic Sinclair

• Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Dominic Sinclair
    • View Profile
  • Position: Companion
Re: Stick them with the pointy end
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
It was a day much like every other day that had occurred on board the Freyja for Dominic. Nothing exciting to report he woke up and preformed his usual morning routine before heading out to a classroom area to teach, or at least attempt to teach some novices a bit about fencing. He grabbed a handful of foils from the weapons room on his way over. In the room he found only a few fairly young women standing tall before him. He could tell that posture was still a very important topic covered in companion training from how these women seemed to hold themselves.

He started with some basics, the most important parts for beginners were how to handle the foil when not in combat, what to wear when fencing, and the general rules of fencing, so this took up most of the time for the class for that day. He showed them a short bout with a volunteer from the small group, which only lasted a few seconds despite his attempts to coach the girl into at least defending. "That is all of the time that we have for today ladies. Please hang up your helmets after wiping them down, and please return your foils to me before leaving. Next class we will pair up and attempt some bouts. Have a blessed rest of the day." He bid his students farewell.

Once the last student left the room he gathered the foils at his feet and walked back to the room to deposit them. As he walked his lose white pants swished around his ankles and his thin white slippers made soft padding sounds on the carpet. He opened the door to the weapons room and walked into the room naturally until he saw there was someone there with a weapon pointed his way. He stopped in his tracks before taking a few steps backwards. "Would you mind pointing that at the floor miss. These items are not toys and should never be pointed at someone, or a door that someone might come in without warning." Dominic scolded the woman without sounding too harsh, it sounded more educational.

Offline Jada Depont

• Freyja
  • Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Jada Depont
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »
Being spoken down to - which she was since she was not a novice! - was not something Jada appreciated. She might have blushed if she had been one of the young girls he had been coaching but she was far too composed and experienced for that. Since he was far too good looking to not be a Companion himself she forgave him his mistake. Jada was not on the Freyja often so it was understandable that he did not know whom she was. So she pointed the tip of Needle at the floor and looked him in the eye, letting the silence linger for a moment before speaking.

"I am no novice, my dear." Though she accepted she had acted like one by having the sharp end of the épée pointed at the door. "Yet I apologise for acting like one." Bowing her head a little, enough to show respect at least, Jada then met his gaze again. "I am clearly in need of instruction." She pointed out the obvious but with a wry smile. "It is why I have come." While she was on the ship it was a good idea to improve her weaknesses and fencing, quite frankly, was a bit of a glaring flaw in her array of skills. A noticeable absence sometimes she felt. Though not every Companion could be exceptional at everything sometimes she felt her onus had been too bent on the music and talking therapies than on more rigorous sports like swordplay.

Offline Dominic Sinclair

• Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Dominic Sinclair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:11:12 AM »
There was a near immediate change in the air after Dominic words pierced it and settled quietly. If he were to guess, which of course he was, this woman didn't not take lightly to his words. That was quite unfortunate because he certainly didn't regret them, he was alarm to find a sharp object pointed at him and anyone who had ever handled one would know not the handle it has such. Finally the woman spoke up, after pointing the weapon at the floor. As expected she was not pleased with being talked to like a novice, as if he were to know if she were or not the way she acted.

"I apologize for my tone, but not my words. Your status as novice or not does not change the fact that these are not toys to be mishandled." Dominic started to speak once the woman finished her piece. "If you are seeking instruction I would advise looking into signing up for a class or seeking an instructor for one-on-one. I don't mean to be rude but jumping to picking out a weapon without an instructor will not help you learn anything. If you have not already tired of hearing from me I could attempt to teach you a thing or two, but I must admit that I am not trained in teaching it's a skill I am working on." The man said looking at the woman. He spoke with a very calm tone that was just above a whisper. He didn't want to further irritate the woman.

Offline Jada Depont

• Freyja
  • Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Jada Depont
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »
His stark words continued and Jada tried not to frown in disapproval. They all had weaknesses and his was clearly interpersonal relationships. In her mind that was far more of a hurdle to being a Companion then her lack of fencing skills so she proposed a deal instead.

"A teacher who speaks the truth is better than a flatterer." She began, "However, how about we trade lessons?" Raising an eyebrow at him and putting away "Needle" she continued.

"You clearly need instruction on how to... instruct, and I can help with that." She did not expect him to know who she was or her speciality so she properly introduced herself. "My Clients look mostly for psychotherapy, so I compliment that with massage, music, philosophy, dance and sex." Sex was not necessarily the least of those things but to Jada it was the least important. A Companion was not a whore, after all, but more like the Geisha's of Earth That Was, they were the wives of the night.

"So what say you? Want to trade?" This time she actually smiled and when Jada smiled it was usually enough to coax most people. Not a fellow Companion more than likely but it didn't hurt to flirt a little either. Practice was what any Chapter house encouraged, and the Freyja was just that - a Chapter House in the air.

Offline Dominic Sinclair

• Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Dominic Sinclair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:24:14 PM »
Dominic smiled softly at the woman, she was not a novice in every sense it would seem. She knew enough to understand that an instructor should be honest instead of simply flattering the students. But his smile faded a bit as he listened to her preposition.

Any good companion knew that it was foolish not to admit your weakness, which is why he was always up front about his skill in teaching. This woman though less experienced in some of his skills seemed to know what she was talking about when it came to instructing, or at least she was good at acting like it, though he doubted she'd offer to teaching him if she couldn't deliver.

"Excellent suggestion, learning is one of the most important aspects of a companions life and I'd be a fool to turn down a chance to grow my knowledge. My name is Dominic and from this moment on I shall be your fencing instructor if we have a deal." He introduced himself and spoke as if they were signing a verbal contract before extending his hand for an official deal handshake.

Offline Jada Depont

• Freyja
  • Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Jada Depont
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »
With the lessons made "official" Jada gestured to the weapons room and asked if she needed to select a practice sword. She did not assume as much for she had no idea about his teaching style - except for his blunt and honest delivery! Since she was on the Freya she might as well make good use of her time (other than with clients or teaching the apprentices herself).

"Am I properly attired for your lesson as well?" She also inquired. Jada was not about to claim specific knowledge of fencing, not when she'd barely completed her beginners classes back at the academy.

Offline Dominic Sinclair

• Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Dominic Sinclair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
The deal had been struck and Jada was clearly eager to begin. She motioned to the weapons, one of which she had just put down, and asked about picking one out. "I typically start my students off with a foil..." He explained with a motion towards the foils he had just returned. "But since you seem to have taking a liking to the epee, and it's a one-on-one lesson we can start with the epees." Dominic explained with a calm, quiet tone.

"As for you attire in the closets of the fencing classroom there are full fencing uniforms that we will be using, so as long as you are wearing closed toed shoes you should be fine with wearing whatever you'd like." The man had just finished his first round of fencing lessons and wasn't particularly eager to start another round of them, but he knew he had agreed to the deal. Besides it was better to do it now than on his day off of teaching, he was already in his fencing mindset anyways. "Is there a room you'd be most comfortable using for your lessons, since clearly I will be using the fencing classroom." Dominic asked making sure they had established where they were meeting from this point on for all lessons.

Offline Jada Depont

• Freyja
  • Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Jada Depont
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
As they walked into the classroom Jada took a look around, she'd not been in one for a while and wondered if much had changed. The lines for the duelling were easy enough to identify, then the platform for the more advanced students. The mirrors for those training alone (which would be her from time to time as she would want more practice). It was all rather standard and similar to what she'd known when in the academy on Sihnon.

"If you are sure you want to start now, otherwise we can arrange another more convenient time." She proposed. As it was it seemed likely that this time every week would be best since they were clearly both free. If his schedule was anything like hers then she imagined he'd not have a lot of time between teaching, hosting and tending to clients. Jada was actually due to meet one in their room in an hour so she would not be able to do more than a forty-five minute lesson anyway.

As she waited for him to answer she checked out the little closet with the gear in it, considering which were more her size. Dominic was larger than her and taller so she'd certainly need something far smaller than he would ever need.

Offline Dominic Sinclair

• Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Dominic Sinclair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
Without missing a beat the pair made their way to the fencing classroom that Dominic's class had just vacated. The mirrors were a fun part of the classroom that allowed his students who were waiting for their turn could practice and see how their moves looked to the instructor. He also found them mildly annoying because some of the very young companions would still find themselves checking their appearance out in the reflective material.

"Now is as good a time as any, unless you have entertaining to do?" The man responded. "In fact, if you'd like every week when my class in here is finished you can come right in, and I'll stay here for you." It simply made more sense for him to stay in the room after his students left and start her lessons while he was still in his fencing set.

He watched her go to the closet with the gear, he hoped she was picking out some for herself. Once she had hers he would retrieve his and start the lesson. He had a client coming for him later in the evening and he wanted to have plenty of time to prepare. "Once you have your size picked out get the gear on and pick one of the fencing boxes you'd like." Dominic instructed calmly. He didn't mean it in a condescending way even though it was probably an obvious statement. 

Offline Jada Depont

• Freyja
  • Jus' Gettin' Started
  • Jada Depont
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 12:37:13 PM »
Jada was, quite frankly, rather happy to just get on with things. She had always been a studious person and excellent at taking instruction - she'd not have become a Companion if that was not the case. It meant that Dominic would have similar qualities and so teaching him how to improve his interpersonal skills should be quite easy, or so she hoped. It was sometimes too easy to make assumptions about other Companions, for the standards across the guild were rigid. The performances of all Companions were regularly reviewed as was their health so she had no reason to believe his abilities might have slipped.

After thirty minutes of a tough beginning Jada put her hand up asking for a short break. It was less about her fitness and more about her reflexes, she did not regularly take part in any kind of activity that required such fast reactions. She never included sex in that since that kind of sex was not exactly typical! Unless one was assigned on a planet and had more ways to be adventurous of course! Various surfaces and outdoor activities came to mind. Jada smiled to herself and took a deep breath, hoping that none of the knocks she'd gotten from being so out of practice and unlearned would result in unseemly bruises.

"So it appears I have a lot to learn." Jada admitted rather grudgingly. She was expecting to be below par but this was not like her at all. As a dancer she was normally far more nimble.

2517, The Unification War has been over for a decade and Miranda is still a secret. Into The Black is an Alternate Universe Firefly & Serenity fandom roleplaying game. It centers around independent crews of different ships which travel all over the 'verse created by Joss Whedon.

Welcome to Into The Black

Rules
Setting
Crew List
Face claim
English Slang
Chinese Slang

Mature board ~ LGBT+ Friendly ~ No Word count

Re: A Job Offer by Seth Downey
[Today at 01:48:15 AM]

Re: Fixin' Stuff That Needs Fixin' by Bert Manfeld
[Yesterday at 02:36:31 AM]